Welcome from the Chair
I am honored to have been elected to serve as chairman of the Appointed Professionals Advisory Council, effective July 1.
APAC was chartered in 1992. Prior to 1992, appointed professionals lacked a formal voice on campus. Through the excellent leadership of our past chairmen and chairwomen, APAC has since evolved and expanded its influence as an organization on campus. We are now active members of shared governance and advise the UA administration on issues of concern to appointed professionals. Nearly 4,000 strong, appointed professionals are found in virtually every department on campus and positively contribute to all facets of the services provided by our University.
As I begin my tenure as APAC chairman, I hope to continue the excellent work of those who preceded me. Jeff Ratje, our most recent chairman, has left some very big shoes to fill. He has provided us with stellar leadership and made some significant accomplishments. Always the professional and dedicated to the University, he has agreed to mentor me during this transition of leadership.
Below are just a few of APAC's accomplishments under Jeff's term.
- Secured a voting seat in Faculty Senate for an APAC representative
- Advocated for improvements to the University Handbook for Appointed Personnel, also called UHAP, and the Arizona Board of Regents policies for appointed professionals across the Arizona university system
- Awarded $7,000 in professional development scholarships to appointed professionals this year
- Served an instrumental role in implementing a UHAP policy change to remove a restriction that prevented some appointed professionals from seeking graduate education
- Organized the 2014 APAC Speaker Series, in which eight UA thought leaders presented to appointed professionals at APAC's monthly meetings on topics such as research, innovations and University happenings
In the coming year, APAC will continue to be a positive voice representing appointed professionals on campus. We will ensure that we remain a valued partner in shared governance. We will provide thoughtful guidance to administration on issues and policies that affect our membership, assuring that the voice of appointed professionals is heard.
APAC will seek out opportunities to increase our involvement and visibility on campus. Importantly, we will not be reticent in our efforts to inform and educate the campus community about the vital contributions appointed professionals make to the University.
Finally, it is my desire to increase membership in APAC and participation of appointed professionals. We want to ensure that appointed professionals are aware of all that we offer. There are an abundance of opportunities for appointed professionals to get involved with APAC and make a difference. Through a robust, diverse and enthusiastic membership, we can enhance our effectiveness and contributions to the University.
I am humbled to have been elected to serve such a wonderful group of professionals and look forward to serving them in the coming year.